Why I admire Dhoni

To begin with,I never had a liking for Dhoni as a player or captain the way I have for the master or Dada.I never hated him though.I always took the sides of those ardent Dada fans when captaincy is being compared echoing 'one is best captain of Indian team while the other was captain of best Indian team'.But one thing that was always there was the belief in Dhoni that when he comes to crease,he will take the team to finishing line nine out of ten times.Of late,when I'm watching Dhoni in IPL 17,it did firmly stuck that he is SOMETHING.If scrutinized,he teaches the world certain things unintentionally.Being a keen observer of personalities,decided to put three qualities I did start to realize and admire,lets look at them.



M

1.Composure - When was the last time we saw Dhoni out of control on and off the ground? As for me,it is more aggressive and sends shivers to the opponent when you smash them out of the park yet remain calm.When we show our emotion outward(no issues with that though as long as it is wielded well),I feel like it is tough to retain the fire which we might have lighten through years of determination and willpower and insults.This composure is also evident in the way he handles success and failures.

2.Patience -Imagine this,you have captained the Franchise with massive fan base over a decade.You are the King.You are the boss.No second thoughts over your ability.Yet you end up in a different franchise just as a player under a overseas captain.To add salt to the wound,the form as a player is not good. Disrespectful comments being passed undermining the achievements. Struggling to connect the ball when other kids are doing it easily in the same arena which he ruled for years.If  I were him, looking back what I had achieved(Tell me what is left to achieve),I would have skipped this season,wait for next year when my banned franchise will be back.He didn't do that.I will not get into the monetary benefits.For me,it is conspicuous that he is waiting,challenging himself,adjusting himself in the new situation.This situation would happen to everyone in our lives where the tables get turned which forces us to adjust quickly. Isn't that something to take a leaf out of?

3.Street smartness - He is that guy who comes across as  the one whom we admire for his intelligence be  it on the ground and in press conferences.We develop that only through years of struggles and learnings.Be it those taking the bails off without seeing(remember the blind run outs he does often),be it instructing the fielder not to take the bails off until he wants that particular player he wants to get out,be it crossing or not crossing the mid field while the catch is being taken,his answers during post press conferences,all these,all these stand as a epitome of his street smartness. 

Having written these,I know all it takes is time and one big game to shut the critics.Sometimes,the lion has to prove why he is the king of jungle.




Comments

Popular Posts