Review of 'My experiments with truth' by M.K Gandhi [Part-1]

Mahatma Gandhi.If my memory serves me well,the first time I heard the name was in general knowledge subject in elementary school followed by references in social,history to be specific.And of course the second of October is a national holiday.As a kid,enjoyed the holiday.As an adult,stood top of the game and stocked in liquor,mastered planning in that way.By the time I got acquainted with money,saw him on every currency. Didn't pay much attention but it was a familiar face.Any school if wanting to take its pupils to a film,'Gandhi' starred by Ben Kingsley was the choice.I don't remember the film but understood that he was the responsible for India's independence.period.No if's and but's.
                                 



In to college and then job,came across pseudo-intellectuals as well as deep thinkers.These were the people who questioned the worthiness of the undisputed command and respect that Gandhiji garners across the country.I was astounded for the first time when a friend of mine questioned the worthiness of Gandhiji in a Gandhi vs Bose discussion.She may or may not knew the facts but it was a revelation for me that there exists other side of the coin even to Gandhi,that too in India.In one another,it was spoken that India got Independence not because of him but it became uncontrollable for British as well as having looted everything and nothing left,Independence was given.I beg your pardon if I,in anyway pulled any wrong string.In a sincere effort,I'm just setting the stage of what led me to read  'My experiments with truth' and I'm eager to share my experience of reading the book.

In a spiritual disclosure I listened to,there was a reference on how  Gandhiji endured the ill treatment when he was thrown out of the railway compartment in South Africa.The entire episode stuck a chord with me this time.The listener in me got curious and inspired.I wanted to learn more about him and verify the facts myself.What is the way? I don't want to hear from anyone for it will not provide his actual views.'My experiments with truth'  written by Gandhiji himself is a good starter.

Having read first few chapters,I appreciate his genuine intention of writing it to aid next gen.I'm convinced that he had guts to speak truth,spoke his heart out and that he too in the beginning was an ordinary man with all kinds of emotions.He did everything that a kid does,he did everything that an youngster does;smoke,eat meat(which was forbidden at his house),suffer due to depression,affected by lust but what made him extraordinary and eventually a 'mahatma' may be was his firm conviction to the values he believed in  and his ability to rise to the occasion as a leader by channelizing the energies with effective communication.

More to follow.....

Comments

Popular Posts